It’s been over a year since pregnancy and my taste palate has never been the same. Some food obsessions have returned, but for the most part, I haven’t been able to enjoy the following:
- Wine- I can’t seem to stand more than two glasses anymore after switching to red and then back to white. All alcohol is pretty much acrid, bitter and ho-hum to my taste buds.
- Mint gum- I always had icy, cool peppermint or spearmint on hand. Now, I begrudgingly chew gum or Altoids just to mask the taste of garlic or bad breath. I chew for one minute and I’m ready to spit it out.
- Tomato juice- I used to guzzle this stuff by the Costco 24-pack, especially during the beginning period of my pregnancy. Now, it makes my stomach turn.
- Packaged deli meat- it’s probably because my doctor ruled this out during pregnancy, but I can’t stand a slippery, soggy meat in my home-made sandwich.
On the upside, I have cultivated new tastes for things I never really enjoyed:
- Bananas- I used to like the flavor, but never the real deal. Now I buy the real deal.
- Oatmeal- a product from my breastfeeding days, I really love the cinnamon spice flavors as a snack.
- Granola- I buy this over traditional cereals. The market has definitely improved the flavoring, so it might be less about taste and more about variety.
- Smoky cheeses- OH MY GAWD, I can’t get enough of smoked Gouda. In fact anything smoked is immensely delicious.
- Gatorade- I’m obsessed. it’s not the best choice of juices due to the sugar content, but I love sport drinks in all flavors except grape.
- Chocolate- Pre-pregnancy, I was NEVER into chocolate. Uh, that’s changed.
Anyone else experience this weird phenomenon?